Project Purge is first-person game focused on exploration. You are a drone sent to reclaim a long lost territory and getting rid of whatever lurks there.

Gameplay was not the primary focus of this project, rather we were focused on making a very visually compelling semi-realistic environment.

Duration: 10 weeks
Team Size: 3 people
Technology: Unreal Editor 4,Blueprints
I worked on: 3D Assets, Materials, Particles, Level Design

It was part of the assignment to use the Unreal Kite Demo Asset Collection to help speed up the process given the timeframe, but I ended up altering most of them quite a bit because they did not fit our artistic vision or performance budget.

My focus was to make the assets as modular, versatile and clean as possible.

In-engine beauty shots of some of the locations in our game. Our programmer Klemens was also our level architect. At first we wanted our architecture to be much more rounded, futuristic and individualistic but that turned to be very unpractical. I worked very closely with him on our modular building system to make arranging the assets in the level editor as simple as possible. This project really changed the way I model and organize assets to make them more accessible and easy to understand for others.

Our Concept Artist Sara came up with these 2 concepts to give us an idea what mood we were going for and and figue out what assets we needed earlier on in the project. This was my first time having a Concept Artist in one of my student teams which is really different from arriving at an art style on your own. Translating Concept Art into models and materials really requires you to communicate ideas as clearly as possible. We ended up changing quite a bit because some things are a lot easier to draw than they are to implement.

Drone Concepts and early models. We wanted to get the drone models into the game as quickly as possible in order to prototype,so we made several iterations of this model.

Cubist inspired modular wall pieces. I wanted to avoid really obvious tiling textures so I used a lot of low poly models with hard normals to catch the light in an interesting way.

Interactive view of the drone core model. You can turn wireframe on/off in the options and move the light with the alt-key.

A big thank you to my teammates Sara and Klemens!

Date: 5th semester (2015-2016)